King David had wanted to build a temple for God, but God had a different plan. God wanted Solomon to build a temple where God could dwell with His people and where they could worship Him. So God told Solomon to build a temple and Solomon obeyed.
Because God is holy, only the priests could approach God—and only if they followed specific instructions. Ordinary people had no direct access to the holy presence of God. Jesus changed all that! When Jesus died on the cross, he took away our sin. We can approach God when we trust Jesus as Lord and Savior.
Help your kids see how the temple shows the holiness of God and how we are separated from Him because of our sin. Remind them that the temple also points toward Jesus who came to bring us to God when we trust in Him. As a family, talk about these truths:
- God knows everything.
- Solomon built a temple for God.
- Solomon told the people to love God with all their hearts.
- We can worship God wherever we go.
- Where does wisdom come from? Wisdom comes from God.
- God chose Solomon to build a temple.