Do you want to teach your kids how to pray? Dietrich Bonhoeffer suggests that just as a child learns how to speak by listening to his mother or father speak, so we learn to pray by listening to Jesus talk to the Father. By repeating the prayers of Jesus, we learn to pray!
There is an entire book of the bible which is filled with prayers. This book is the Psalms. As a family, explore the Psalms and begin to imagine them as the words of Jesus– which will teach us how to pray to God! (If this is confusing, click here to listen to the Antioch series: “Praying with Jesus”.)
As a family, consider memorizing The Lord’s Prayer, which Jesus uses to teach his disciples how to pray. To make it a little easier, use these resources:
- Free downloadable coloring book based on the The Lord’s Prayer.
- A story which puts The Lord’s Prayer in kid words.
- Print out this art, cut it into 6 sections, and hide them around the house for a scavenger hunt. As kids find them, challenge them to put the puzzle back together!
- Listen to this song and learn the The Lord’s Prayer as a family.
- Consider reading the Lord’s Prayer in different versions, such as the New International Reader’s Version and The New Living Translation to help your child better understand the prayer.
Our hope is that we will recognize the wonderful way in which Jesus teaches us how to pray!