Even though there are still a couple holidays to breeze through before December 25th hits, at Antioch we are already getting into the Christmas spirit. Once again we will be participating in Operation Christmas Child, and boy are we excited! As parents who want to raise compassionate and mission minded kids, this is the perfect opportunity to show that it is far better to give than it is to receive. On Sunday November 13th, kids in Jumpstart and Geared (grades K-5th) will start the process of packing their own box. Please have your child bring a shoebox to church that week! That morning, your kids will be learning about the virtue of Gratitude, and then have a tangible chance to act on it by packing a box. They will leave that morning with a shoebox, a couple of small toys, and directions on how to complete it as a family. Most importantly we want each kid to walk away with an appreciation for what God has given them and a desire to do something kind for others who are less fortunate.
Once your kid brings home the started box, here’s how it works:
- Decide the gender and age group you will be packing the box for and mark it on the provided shipping label.
- Fill up your box according to the age group and gender you chose! Some things you can include are small toys, school supplies, or hygiene items. (For more ideas on what to pack, visit the Operation Christmas Child website)
- Fill out the donation sheet and include the check to cover the cost of shipping your box. (This donation goes straight to Samaritans Purse)
- As a family, pray for the child who will be receiving the box you just packed.
- Drop of the shoebox to the Antioch church offices during the week of November 14th-18th or bring it back to church on Sunday November 20th and keep praying!